When the University of Florida began admitting women in 1947, Tri Delta took the initiative in establishing a chapter at UF the very next school year on September 11, 1948. It was one of the first four sororities founded, and the first rush yielded fourteen pledge members, which was the largest number of any of the other chapters.
Since our founding, Alpha Psi has nurtured and sustained young women who have become successful all over the country. From that first year, the Alpha Psi chapter has continued to grow stronger while bringing in more and more remarkable women to its home.For more than 50 years Tri Delta, and the Alpha Psi Chapter in particular, has been dedicated to:
• Impacting and improving the lives of women
• Encouraging leadership in the classroom, on campus and in the community
• Fostering friendships that last a lifetime
• Providing a chapter house that plays a significant role as a home away from home, living and learning center, and proud symbol of our fraternity
• Playing a significant role in the personal and professional development of its members in today’s competitive world
• The pearl: It was chosen to symbolize the new member, because it is the one jewel that grows, developing from a tiny grain of sand into a thing of great value and beauty.
• The pine: The pine tree is a symbol of Tri Delta’s collegiate members because it represents growth and lofty aspirations
• The pansy: The pansy is Tri Delta’s flower. It is a symbol of alumnae membership and the third step in the lifetime development of Delta Delta Delta’s members.
• The dolphin: The dolphin symbolizes rebirth, friendship and leadership. In Tri Delta, the dolphin is symbolic of clear skies and smooth sailing.
• Poseidon: The patron Greek divinity of Tri Delta is Poseidon, god of the sea and one of the three rulers of the universe.Our colors:The colors of Tri Delta are silver, gold and cerulean blue. Green is also a significant color because it symbolizes the union of the three colors.
Our motto: Let us steadfastly love one another.